Saturday, October 3, 2009

Off Ramp: Loma Linda Week 2


Week 2: September 27-October 3


Sunday morning I winged my way back to Vancouver, WA for a brief but meaningful introduction to my new granddaughter Clara Julianna. After all, the next opportunity to see this little one would not be until after treatment which is two months from now. Those free tickets from Southwest sure came in handy. Over the next two days I was able to see the other 7 grandchildren one more time as well . I am blessed beyond measure. Tuesday evening found us both headed back to our little cottage in Loma Linda.

Wednesday morning at 9:30 we trekked back to the Loma Linda Proton Treatment Center for my introduction to “Gantry 3.” This is truly amazing technology with only better things to come. I marveled at the thought of all the research, development and technological advancements that proceeded this day. That evening during the support group meeting we had the opportunity to listen to one of the doctors involved in research here at LLUMC. As I listened to him speak I was reminded of all of the hours invested behind the scenes developing and improving this technology.

The staff here is wonderful and so personable. You can tell it is genuine and not put on. That’s just the way it is here. Thursday marked my second day in my pod at “Gantry 3” with only 43 more to go. I met with my doctor again at this time. Meeting with my doctor will be a weekly occurrence throughout my treatment.

Diane and I made a trip to the Drayson Center towards the end of the day to sign up for our complimentary membership to this state of the art health and athletic facility. It is quite a complex. Believe it or not, our membership is part of the treatment. I did say “our” because this benefit is extended to spouses and caregivers. We signed up for a session called “Boot Camp” that I am sure will test our physical limitations, not to mention our age. This part of our adventure begins Monday morning at 9 AM. It takes place one hour a day, four days a week for the entire month of October. It will be led by a couple of on-staff personal trainers.

My treatment time for Friday was moved to a 9 PM slot. Typically the newbies end up with the later evening time slots. Treatment times range from 5 AM until about 11 PM. However, about the middle of the afternoon I received word that “Gantry 3” was down for maintenance for the evening. I will resume treatment Monday evening at 9:30 PM. We were warned about the likelihood of this happening ahead of time. When this does occur it simply means you tack those days on at the end of your treatment.

As the weekend rolled around it allowed us a chance to make our new little cottage away from home feel like home. This also gave us a chance to slow down and regroup after going full speed ahead for so long.

Saturday night we ended up visiting a new church. Even though the church has three traditional Sunday morning worship times, we opted for the Saturday evening service this time around. It is uniquely named “The Packinghouse Church” in Redlands, California. The significance in the name appears to be the relationship to a “fruit bearing” life.

No comments:

Post a Comment